Thursday, April 18, 2013

Webby's Vacation

Webby Here!

Things are getting really busy at Shelburne Museum as we prepare for the season opening on Sunday, May 12.  I have been working so hard preparing my Dive In with Webby cards that when my friend Denise and her family asked me to go with them on a cruise to the Bahamas, I simply could not say no.   Here are some pictures from my wonderful adventure to the tropics!

Off we go to the airport.  I made sure to buckle up and kept my suitcase with me at all times.

What a view from the window of our ship's cabin room. Boy, that cruise ship looks nothing like steamboat Ticonderoga.

One of the first things I did was put on my sunglasses because I was ready to enjoy...

Lounging under the sun! Do I look as relaxed as the figures in Edouard Manet's Au Jardin (In the Garden) painting on display at the Electra Havemeyer Webb Memorial Building?
Edouard Manet (1832-83) Au Jardin (In the Garden), ca. 1870, oil on canvas. Collection of Shelburne Museum.

Denise let me have some soda during lunch!

As well as some berry smoothie for an afternoon snack.  I had so much sugar that I had a little bit of a tummy ache.  Denise gave me something to settle my stomach, so there was no need to visit an Apothecary.

Here I am, enjoying the beach at our first port.  I spent all day working on my sandcastle fortress.  When I'm not at the beach, I like to build and create all sorts of things at Owl Cottage.

Denise and I thought all the servers were so great on the ship. They even let us take this picture with them.

The family tried to teach me how to play the game cornhole, but I didn't understand the rules very well.  Perhaps I'm too used to the games that are on display at the Toy Shop.

But the coolest thing about my trip is that I met so many new friends:

Like this fellow.

I had a fun dance party with my new elephant friend before bed.

And I even let this new buddy borrow my sunglasses while we lounged together.  We chatted about the all-new exhibit of Patty Yoder's beautiful hooked rugs on display at the Hat & Fragrance building for this season.

One day we played trivia!  The person running the game let me read one question to the other players.  I answered all of the questions using what I have learned from Shelburne Museum.


And I won the game!  They gave me lots of medals. 

Once the ship returned to the mainland, it was time to go back home.
I made it back safe and sound to the Museum.  I can't wait to show everyone my new hats and large beach towel.
I feel so refreshed after a fun vacation with Denise and her family. I'm now ready to get back to work helping the staff prepare the grounds, programs, and events for another great season. Tune in next time when I share how you can create landscape art.

--Webby 

No comments:

Post a Comment